The Importance and Value of Your Domains. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today every one whether it is Government or enterprise, medium and small business even individuals are heavily depended on Information Technology, Domain Name is an inestimable asset of every organization. What’s worse than forgetting to renew your domain name registration? Getting your domain deleted as a result of not renewing and it having it registered by someone else. They may demand an exorbitant price to sell it back, or worse, sell it to one of your competitors, who takes all your customer traffic and email..
As reported by COMPUTER WOLRD http://www.computerworld.com/…/tp-link-lost-control-of-two-… This can happen to even a network company; it SEEMS to be that network devices company TP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd., has forgotten to renew company owned domains h t t p:// tplinkextender . net / and h t t p: // tplinklogin . n e t, whatever it may the reason in effect they have lost control of both domains, now both of them are under sale, These domain names where used to configure TP-Link Routers and Wi-Fi Extenders instead of IP Address (e.g. 192 . 168 .0. 1). Now TP-LINK need to struggle to get back those name it mean time and money.
COSMOS Recommend ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Configure domain name renewal notifications to trigger a review or renewal action by staff responsible for maintaining IP (Intellectual Property) and Trademark any internal committee that who decide whether to renew or to expire.
2) Make sure ownership and controls of domain registrations are with your company.
3) Maintain maker-checker policy to verify that the changes are authorized and correct in case of any changes to domain records, administrative and technical contacts etc…
4) Maintain a list of authorized contacts for each domain registration account.
5) Use different credentials for each account.
6) In the case of engaging third party (e.g. Web hosting) NEVER EVER give away of your-own login credentials of any of your accounts, rather grant access to your accounts for the individuals who need it.
7) Enable multi factor authentication for admin panel.
- Noorul HAQUE
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!